Safe Use

Accidental Overdose

overdose-graphic

 

With the proper care and knowledge, accidental overdoses can be avoided.

Take the proper precautions:

Accidental Overdose

Safe storage at home and when you travel is crucial. Lock your medicine in a secure spot so children can’t get into it.

Accidental Overdose

Safe disposal is also important. Many children will stumble upon unused medicine by simply looking in the trash.

Accidental Overdose

Talk to your kids about your medicine. Explain why you take it, and why they should not. Tell them it’s not candy.

Accidental Overdose

Monitor your medicine. Know if some is missing.

Accidental Overdose

Listen for the click of the safety cap when you close a bottle of medication.

Accidental Overdose

Ask houseguests to keep their medicine out of sight. Ask family members to secure their medicine before your children visit them.

Accidental Overdose

Call the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center at 800-222-1222 in case of an emergency.

Accidental overdoses can also occur when adults, often with medical conditions that involve memory loss or impaired judgment, take their medications more often than required. Having a chart or calendar for each daily dose is one way to record that a day’s dosage has been met. Another is to have a caregiver or trusted home companion administer each day’s dosage, or have a calendar pill box for each day’s required medicines.